Samsung Apologizes For Workers' Leukemia

Soulskill posted about 4 months ago | from the some-jobs-are-really-awful dept.

News 150

itwbennett writes: "In an emailed statement, Samsung offered its 'sincerest apology' for the sickness and deaths of some of its workers, vowing to compensate those affected and their families. So far there have been 26 reported victims of blood cancers who worked in Samsung's Gi-Heung and On-Yang semiconductor plants. Ten have died. Other alleged workplace-related illnesses include miscarriages, infertility, hair loss, blood disorders, kidney troubles and liver disease."

Cue typical Slashdot response (2, Interesting)

royallthefourth (1564389) | about 4 months ago | (#47002117)

"If they don't like cancer, they're free to find another job!"

Re:Cue typical Slashdot response (1)

You need to add something about obamacare and hosts files.

Re:Cue typical Slashdot response (1)

larry bagina (561269) | about 4 months ago | (#47002239)

I patented cancer! These insensitive clods owe me naked and petrified grits in my cowboy neil goatse!

Re:Cue typical Slashdot response (-1)

If you like your cancer, you can keep your cancer.

$10,000 challenge to APK. You daresay HOSTS is slower though it runs in ring 0?

=> APK

PS: Hey bigmouth! Why're you runnin' Forest? You're being called out [iliketowastemytime.com] .

Oh gee: A douchebag ac troll tries to (-1)

"Impersonate me"... Do us a favor - grow up!

APK

P.S.=> QUESTION: How badly have I dusted you in tech debates that you're reduced to such childish reprehensible bullshit, hmmm?

(Your ego a bit "bruised" ? Yes, obviously! Clue: Don't mess with your BETTERS then (in myself))... apk

Re:Oh gee: A douchebag ac troll tries to (0)

I think I speak for all of the Slashdot user base when I say, with all due respect (which is none):

Please just die.

Re:Oh gee: A douchebag ac troll tries to (0)

Morons like you can't think. It's how and why apk annihilates you on hosts and you run every time.

Re:Oh gee: A douchebag ac troll tries to (0)

"Impersonate me"... Do us a favor - grow up!

Pot, meet kettle. Then both of you fuck off and try to do something useful with your lives.

I am doing something useful (0)

I give users more speed, security, reliability, & anonymity BETTER than any other single solution out there - bar none, using something YOU ALREADY HAVE instead of stupidly "bolting on more moving parts" complexity + room for breakdown!

Question is - Are you?

Answer = No.

In fact - Why don't YOU *try* to validly disprove 17 enumerated points here on the superiority of hosts files over other "solutions" (sold out, weak, & faulty ones) -> http://start64.com/index.php?o... [start64.com]

Hmmm?

* Is it since you've *TRIED* to before, & I utterly STOMPED YOU, with facts you can't overcome?

Yes - obviously...

APK

P.S.=> Go away now, little troll - "shoo"... lmao!

... apk

Re:Oh gee: A douchebag ac troll tries to (0)

Sardaukar86 (850333) | about 4 months ago | (#47003145)

"Impersonate me"... Do us a favor - grow up!

Dear hypocrite,

Please recognise that this is the feeling a lot of us experience when reading your puerile drivel. You, as a fifty-something-year-old man should be truly ashamed of yourself and your antisocial behaviour. But you HAVE no shame, because you're too busy being so very, very impressed with yourself.

Clue: Don't mess with your BETTERS then (in myself))... apk

Listen up, you arrogant cunt: you are NOBODY'S better. You are the sock-puppeteer, the liar, the crap-flooder, the hypocrite, the off-topic stalker, the troll and above all the laughing-stock clown of Slashdot.

Take your ad-nauseum hosts file postings (often multiple times in the same goddamned thread for Christ's sake) that we don't care to debate with you along with your silly tantrums and just FUCK OFF.

LMAO - watch the ac troll I reply to run (0)

Why don't YOU *try* to validly disprove 17 enumerated points here on the superiority of hosts files over other "solutions" (sold out, weak, & faulty ones) -> http://start64.com/index.php?o... [start64.com] That gives users of hosts more SPEED, SECURITY, RELIABILITY, & even ANONYMITY online...

* QUESTION: You constantly AVOID THAT - Is it since you've *tried* to before only to have me utterly shoot you down with facts you can't overcome validly? Absolutely... lol!

APK

P.S.=> To anyone reading: Watch the unidentified ac troll I just replied EVADE THAT CHALLENGE to no end... He does it, every SINGLE time, & it's hilarious!

... apk

Re:Oh gee: A douchebag ac troll tries to (0)

DISREGARD THAT

I suck COCKS

APK

P.S.=> You can tell this is actually me BECAUSE OF THE RANDOM BOLD text and the =>arrows

P.S.=>P.S.=> if I GOT A slashdot ACCOUNT then you libelous FUCKERS wouldn't be able to impersonate me

LMAO: "Imperaonating me", again? Please... (0)

"Rinse, Lather, & REPEAT" you unidentified truly cowardly troll http://news.slashdot.org/comme... [slashdot.org]

APK

P.S.=> I know that everyone LOVES to watch you "Run, Forrest: RUN!!!" too, so this post here -> http://news.slashdot.org/comme... [slashdot.org] is specially made, JUST FOR YOU - so you can "enteratin us" while we watch you RUN, forrest (lmao)... apk

I don't EVEN KNOW... (0)

...if I'm ME, i.e. APK or one of the many MANY trolls impersonating me like this poster [slashdot.org] or this one... [slashdot.org]

APK

P.S>.=> As a matter of fact I think this post -> here [slashdot.org] is one of the many TROLLS who can't match my SPEED, SECURITY, RELIABILITY, & even ANONYMITY ...apk

We know 1 thing for sure apk impersonator (0)

You're truly "Forrest" (lmao) "running" from real apk's challenge http://news.slashdot.org/comme... [slashdot.org]

Re:We know 1 thing for sure apk impersonator (0)

I know two things, APK:

1. You should give it up with the anonymous sockpuppets, it makes you look like some kind of raving psycho.
2. "You're truly "Forrest" (lmao) "running" from real apk's challenge" doesn't make a damn bit of sense.

Re:Oh gee: A douchebag ac troll tries to (0)

"Impersonate me"... Do us a favor - grow up!

APK

Oh, APK! You're my hero [hark.com] ! Please impregnate my wife and daughters! I just wish I could be as big and strong as you. And smart! Ever since I started using your hosts file, my whole world is better! Much better than when I was using MyCleanPC [mycleanpc.com] !

Why're you running from this "Forrest" (lol) (0)

Apk get the best of you yet again? Yes. -> http://news.slashdot.org/comme... [slashdot.org]

"Run, Forrest: RUN!!!" like always... apk (0)

You'll run till the day you die vs. this challenge from me -> http://news.slashdot.org/comme... [slashdot.org]

* :)

(LMAO - I love it!)

APK

P.S.=> Every single time you do this, you ONLY end up making ME look GOOD, & yourself by way of comparison (running like the scared little loser you are clearly)? Well - lol, "not so good"...

... apk

workers comp issue (1)

Joe_Dragon (2206452) | about 4 months ago | (#47002439)

workers comp issue so under workers comp you do not use your own obamacare plan.

Re:Cue typical Slashdot response (0)

Or "hey, at least they're still alive! Ask all those dead Apple Foxconn employees how it's working out!"

Re:Cue typical Slashdot response (1)

ArcadeMan (2766669) | about 4 months ago | (#47002395)

You say "Apple Foxconn employees", as if Apple was the only Foxconn client and Samsung didn't do the exact same thing.

Re:Cue typical Slashdot response (0)

Some dunderhead always misses the sarcasm.

Re:Cue typical Slashdot response (1)

ArcadeMan (2766669) | about 4 months ago | (#47003109)

I was replying to the troll part of the sarcasm.

Re:Cue typical Slashdot response (0)

You mean except the ones who excruciatingly died of the cancer?

Re:Cue typical Slashdot response (0)

Nice, but you should post as AC and add the sig:
roman_mir

Re:Cue typical Slashdot response (0)

See what happens when you let government regulate cancer?

Re:Cue typical Slashdot response (1)

Nidi62 (1525137) | about 4 months ago | (#47002399)

"If they don't like cancer, they're free to find another job!"

Don't forget "If you like your cancer, you can keep your cancer"

Re:Cue typical Slashdot response (0)

/. isn't all worthless libertarians. Yes there are more of them than you'd expect if you were to believe that smart people congregate here, but much of /. is foolish people who believe they're smart due to some minor technical skills, and lack the depth to see their own shortcomings as people.

I Am Slashdot. (0)

I like NPR and Jay Carney and hate Micro$oft and have a Mac. I also have spiked hair.

Re:Cue typical Slashdot response (1)

Impy the Impiuos Imp (442658) | about 4 months ago | (#47002827)

In gp's imagined libertarian dystopia, where he disasterbates regularly, one presumes there are no journalists to loudly ask people why they continue to buy product X when that company's workers die an inordinately large amount of time, and presumably there are no prosecutors to prosecute managers that order unaware people to their deaths for murder.

I'll risk the asinine belief "Hey, do it or lose your job". I just wish we could see it, because they'd probably be about 30 years ahead of us with net far fewer deaths due to advancement.

Re:Cue typical Slashdot response (1)

Jiro (131519) | about 4 months ago | (#47003101)

Where in the article does it say that Samsung caused the cancer?

So they apologized for it. Companies apologize for things that aren't their fault all the time. That's not a confession of guilt, that's a public relations ploy, and is solely based on whether people blame them for causing cancer, not whether they really caused any cancer.

Besides, if you read the apology carefully, it's not even worded as a confession. It doesn't say 'we apologize for giving people cancer'. They're just apologizing for making people upset--something they could do whether the cancer is caused by them or not. If a bully thinks you kicked sand in his face, and if you don't apologize he's going to beat you up/cost you millions in bad publicity, you apologize, regardless of whether you did it.

Re:Cue typical Slashdot response (0)

Sorry, that's supposed to be the "typical Slashdot response?" Obviously you're here either new here or a redditor.

The typical Slashdot response from what I've seen over the years would be to call bullshit on what is such a poor piece of PR that it reads aloud like some sort of sick joke. "Sorry you're probably going to be dead soon because of us" isn't much consolation. They might as well have come out and said what they were really thinking -- "sorry, but hey, at least we only have to pay death benefits once."

A lot of the people who visit Slashdot work in electronics, IT and the like. You might not have noticed in between reposting memes on 9gag, but people who work in a certain industry are generally sensitive to issues that affect people in said industry. I'm glad you got modded flamebait, in the lack of a "go the fuck back to reddit you piece of white trash" it's the best option available. That or troll, which is probably a more appropriate description of your social life...largely held alone and under a fucking bridge.

Re:Cue typical Slashdot response (1)

thunderbird32 (1138071) | about 4 months ago | (#47003707)

Are you implying that everyone on reddit is white trash? That seems uncalled for.

This is why North Korea is Best Korea (1)

Nuke the Far East (-1)

Get rid of all these soulless mongrels.

Re:Nuke the Far East (0)

Sardaukar86 (850333) | about 4 months ago | (#47003167)

Get rid of all these soulless mongrels.

I'm totally for that, at least from where I (geographically) sit.

Bit hard on the rest of the countryside though, using nuclear weapons for such small targets as the White House and the Pentagon? ;-)

Only apologies? (0, Flamebait)

GameboyRMH (1153867) | about 4 months ago | (#47002323)

Yeah don't offer any kind of financial assistance. That shit's expensive.

Re:Only apologies? (3, Informative)

GameboyRMH (1153867) | about 4 months ago | (#47002413)

Addendum: OK, TFA says Samsung will compensate the families. Seems like something that should have been in TFS.

Re:Only apologies? (2, Informative)

First sentence of the summary.

First.

Sentence.

Re:Only apologies? (0)

Welcome to /., where not only do you not have to RTFA to post your musings, you also don't even have to RTFS!

You should be ashamed of yourself. I have no idea how you're at +2 --you should be at -6, Useless Bag of Shit.

Re:Only apologies? (2)

Nidi62 (1525137) | about 4 months ago | (#47002415)

vowing to compensate those affected and their families.

Could you not even finish reading the first sentence of the summary?

Re:Only apologies? (0)

ROFLREADSUMMARY

Re:Only apologies? (1)

Scudsucker (17617) | about 4 months ago | (#47003657)

Yes, his not reading the summary was precious. As is your sig in this story.

Re:Only apologies? (0)

vowing to compensate those affected and their families

It's not even hidden, it's the end of the first sentence.

Re:Only apologies? (0)

"In an emailed statement, Samsung offered its 'sincerest apology' for the sickness and deaths of some of its workers, vowing to compensate those affected and their families....

That's a new level of lazy, don't even finish the first sentence of the summary.

Samsung stealing again (0)

ArcadeMan (2766669) | about 4 months ago | (#47002417)

As a Canadian, I am deeply offended by the fact that Samsung apologized to its workers without buying genuine Canadian apologies first.

And as a Canadian, I apologize for this lame attempt at a joke.

Re:Samsung stealing again (1)

Chas (5144) | about 4 months ago | (#47002597)

Didn't you know? There's a world shortage of "Saw-ree" right now.

Re:Samsung stealing again (0)

This is Canada we are talking about. It's "Sore-Ree."

Re:Samsung stealing again (0)

As a Canadian, I forgive you, eh?

Re:Samsung stealing again (0)

A proper Canadian apology would be coupons for Tim Horton's.

The first step is admitting you have a problem (0)

so that's a start and rare these days

Wouldn't it be cheaper... (1)

HalAtWork (926717) | about 4 months ago | (#47002441)

Wouldn't it be cheaper to have gotten proper filter masks and ventilation for the workers?

Re:Wouldn't it be cheaper... (1)

Charliemopps (1157495) | about 4 months ago | (#47002485)

Cheaper? It hasn't cost them any money yet.

Re:Wouldn't it be cheaper... (1)

Desler (1608317) | about 4 months ago | (#47002711)

In the long-term, yes, but shareholders only care about the current quarter's bottom line.

Re:Wouldn't it be cheaper... (1)

timeOday (582209) | about 4 months ago | (#47002887)

You are trivializing it. It's fairly difficult to make sure with reasonable certainty that workers and people downstream are not harmed. OSHA and EPA are two of the favorite whipping-boys of the business lobby in the US. And we don't go as far as Europe.

Re:Wouldn't it be cheaper... (0)

Ah, but first you need Kirk to prove that the zenite gas is actually causing the retardation - err cancer. Then you can get them their filter masks...

if you gots to have your anti-apple phone... (-1)

...then you gots to have it. simple as that.

I'm curious (3, Interesting)

synapse7 (1075571) | about 4 months ago | (#47002447)

How was it contracted?

Re:I'm curious (0)

how babby made?

Re:I'm curious (0)

In the semiconductor industry, the most likely culprits are solvents that tend to be carcinogenic. In the Silicon Valley we had our share of problems with trichloroethylene in the 70/80 too.

Re:I'm curious (1)

fuzzyfuzzyfungus (1223518) | about 4 months ago | (#47003717)

There are a fair few military bases, dubiously sensible mines, and generic industrial sites; but California's Superfund site list [wikipedia.org] has plenty of silicon notables. Santa Clara, in particular, would not be my choice for delicious well water.

Re:I'm curious (0)

That would be a strange clause for a contract.

Isn't it a bit ironic (4, Interesting)

Mr D from 63 (3395377) | about 4 months ago | (#47002493)

Multiple confirmed cancer/disease cases directly attributed to the Giheung facility where solar cells are produced. Clean energy for all!

Re:Isn't it a bit ironic (1)

DirePickle (796986) | about 4 months ago | (#47002511)

Yes, this is totally a solar power issue and not a corporate malfeasance issue.

Re:Isn't it a bit ironic (1)

Mr D from 63 (3395377) | about 4 months ago | (#47002669)

Just pointing out the irony. I see that must have ruffled your feathers a bit.

Re:Isn't it a bit ironic (0)

It rustled my jimmies fo sho, nigga.

Re:Isn't it a bit ironic (1)

LWATCDR (28044) | about 4 months ago | (#47002765)

Yep you did. Solar for some is a religion and not a technology. Too bad really since it is useful but not as they used to say a "golden bullet".

Re:Isn't it a bit ironic (0)

I believe the phrase is "silver bullet".

Re:Isn't it a bit ironic (0)

I see that must have ruffled your feathers a bit.

Are you feigning surprise? It sure looks like that was your intent from the beginning.

Re:Isn't it a bit ironic (1)

r_jensen11 (598210) | about 4 months ago | (#47003541)

Just pointing out the irony.

Please continue explaining, because I believe you'll have a hard time:

irony
noun
the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.
Eg: "Clear as mud"

a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result.
plural noun: ironies
Eg: Ronald Reagan getting shot due to bullet ricocheting off his bullet-proof car

a literary technique, originally used in Greek tragedy, by which the full significance of a character's words or actions are clear to the audience or reader although unknown to the character.
E.g: Pick a random Shakespeare play

Re:Isn't it a bit ironic (1)

Scudsucker (17617) | about 4 months ago | (#47003567)

Just pointing out the irony.

Whatever you say, Alanis. In the same way that electric cars became bad the first time a driver ran over someone's dog in a Tesla.

Re:Isn't it a bit ironic (0)

Re:Isn't it a bit ironic (1)

MickyTheIdiot (1032226) | about 4 months ago | (#47002629)

never a death attributed to coal! sooo clean!

Re:Isn't it a bit ironic (1)

iggymanz (596061) | about 4 months ago | (#47002707)

there are less deaths caused by digging other natural substances out of the ground?

Re:Isn't it a bit ironic (1)

Mr D from 63 (3395377) | about 4 months ago | (#47002713)

Many deaths attributed to coal. Doesn't change anything.

Re:Isn't it a bit ironic (0)

Changes the conversation from the topic at hand which I'm sure was your goal.

Re:Isn't it a bit ironic (0)

I find it funny that my first thought when comparing it to the common perception of an American company, is that they would drag out the court cases until past when the employees died and end up paying maybe 10% of the cost and the public will be so tired of the press about it, they will not care in large. It is another incident in an ocean full of crap.

I love the idea of American goods, but we are really morally bankrupt. When I see Japanese and South Korean companies taking huge pay cuts due to bad performance of the company (not to mention the already vastly lower salaries compared to over here), it makes me want to buy their products more. This isn't always true. The power company that handled the Ichiban nuclear reactor incident looks to be about as bankrupt as can be.

Re:Isn't it a bit ironic (2)

Desler (1608317) | about 4 months ago | (#47002885)

Is this post a joke? Samsung was fighting the workers and denying there were any problems for more than 7 years and some of the workers did die from the cancer before owning up to it.

Re:Isn't it a bit ironic (0)

Samsung has been a part of nearly half a dozen price fixing cartels, bribes politicians and wields all sorts of power against its critics in South Korea. They are just as morally bankrupt as any other corporation you could name.

Re:Isn't it a bit ironic (0)

Meanwhile in Turkey...

Re:Isn't it a bit ironic (1)

tool462 (677306) | about 4 months ago | (#47003239)

It's still clean energy. Humans are carbon-neutral.

Re:Isn't it a bit ironic (1)

excelsior_gr (969383) | about 4 months ago | (#47003305)

Yeah, when you don't give a shit about safety (as like, beyond the regulations, which are a bare minimum for preventing you from dying *on the spot*), stuff like this tends to happen in a factory handling and/or producing chemicals. The company I work for is in the same business, but never heard of any similar incidents in my workplace.

Dear workers, (0)

Razed By TV (730353) | about 4 months ago | (#47002819)

We are so sorry to have poisoned you and then ignored you until someone else spoke up on your behalf. I hope we can still be friends...

...if you're still alive...

...and can keep up your quota.

Good they did not have Mr. Burns' lawyers (0)

Or else they would all just be given an Employee of the Month Award and Ham in exchange for a signature to make the company not liable for damages.

Re:Good they did not have Mr. Burns' lawyers (1)

Desler (1608317) | about 4 months ago | (#47002935)

As opposed to denying any problems for more than 7 years and letting a number of the affected workers die of the cancer they got from the job? Yeah, Samsung was ever so benevolent...

fuckyourshittysubjectcuntcuntcunt (1)

I'm installing Samsung printer drivers now. I think I know where the leukemia comes from...

Murder (0)

Samsung meets the legal criteria of a Serial Killer. ...and yet, no action will be taken no doubt.

Re:Murder (0)

MouseTheLuckyDog (2752443) | about 4 months ago | (#47003373)

And yet, their employees do not jump off the factory roofs.

Re:Murder (1, Informative)

gnasher719 (869701) | about 4 months ago | (#47003483)

And yet, their employees do not jump off the factory roofs.

Well, this is the first article ever on Slashdot about Samsung killing its employees. (It was reported elsewhere, but on Slashdot I'm generally surprised about the headline calling them "Samsung" and not "Apple supplier"). Numbers about other deaths at Samsung factories haven't been reported. Seems unlikely that their employees die from cancer and are invulnerable to accidents. Numbers of suicides haven't been reported. Seems unlikely that there aren't any, but reporters in South Korea trying to report negatives about Samsung tend to lose their jobs quickly.

Good for them (1)

iplayfast (166447) | about 4 months ago | (#47003163)

While I don't know the backstory, I applaud Samsung for stepping up and taking responsibility for the problem and compensating the workers who have suffered. SamSung over the years has struck me as a responsible company over and over, for multiple diverse reasons. This is just another to ad to the list.

A company cannot help that there are problems, but it can help by trying to do the right thing afterwards, and trying not to be evil.

I note that a number of the slashdot comments are cynical to the extreme, but I doubt any of the posters have more information then I do. It's too easy to be cynical while living in the 1 percent of the worlds wealth. I expect it's even easier to be cynical when you aren't.

Re:Good for them (2)

Desler (1608317) | about 4 months ago | (#47003269)

They only "stepped up" after 7+ years of workers and their families fighting Samsung who was denying there were any problems at the plant. What have they done to deserve praise? That they did something nearly a decade after they should have?

Re:Good for them (0)

You seem to falsely assume that South Korea is a poor/third world country. They have the 15th highest GDP and the 16th highest median income in the world. Samsung itself is ranked 20th in the world in revenues on the Global 500 list. What exactly does your nonsense have to do with this situation?

Re:Good for them (3, Insightful)

niado (1650369) | about 4 months ago | (#47003411)

It's too easy to be cynical while living in the 1 percent of the worlds wealth.

Not sure if troll....

A company can most certainly adhere to basic safety standards instead of sacrificing a bunch of lives for profit in places where the safety standards are not legally mandated.

In this particular case, an organization owned and operated by a bunch of 1%ers wrecked the lives of numerous poverty-stricken workers and their families through gross negligence. And they are unlikely to suffer impactful financial consequences as a result.

Re:Good for them (1)

Desler (1608317) | about 4 months ago | (#47003453)

And denied that there was anything wrong for nearly a decade. It's a farce that anyone would applaud them for this.

Re:Good for them (4, Informative)

Samsung is the largest of 5 companies that control 90% of the SK economy. Most of the SK govt is literally on their payroll. Look up the term "Chaebol". In the SK you don't even /talk/ about Samsung because if anything you say might be perceived as negative you're basically unable to find a job for the rest of your life.

They're about as monstrous and amoral as a company can get.. But it's tolerated because the SK economy has such rapid growth. The moment that's over shit is going to hit the fan.

Re:Good for them (0)

Yep and they have been part of a number of price fixing cartels involving DRAM, LCD panels, CRTs, optical drives, etc. Why anyone would champion or be a "fan" of the company beggars belief.

Sorry... (0)

As Tony Hayward says, "Sorry." I realize they're paying compensation, still...

Horrible! (1)

FrozenToothbrush (3466403) | about 4 months ago | (#47003781)

They should make these people millionaires (in U.S. currency). Ultimately there is no compensation to the victims families for this.