Live Q&A With Ex-TSA Agent Jason Harrington Tomorrow 3pm ET

samzenpus posted about 7 months ago | from the coming-soon dept.

Transportation 21

Jason Harrington's story pulling back the curtain on life as a TSA agent was an uncomfortable revelation to some, and a confirmation to many frustrated travelers. His descriptions of a typical day on the job highlighted why few in the security line were happy, including the agents: 'I hated it from the beginning. It was a job that had me patting down the crotches of children, the elderly and even infants as part of the post-9/11 airport security show. I confiscated jars of homemade apple butter on the pretense that they could pose threats to national security. I was even required to confiscate nail clippers from airline pilots—the implied logic being that pilots could use the nail clippers to hijack the very planes they were flying.' Jason will be sitting down with us tomorrow Friday, February 28th starting at 3pm ET (20:00 GMT) to talk with you live about security theater and life after the TSA.

Not surprising at all (1)

rikkards (98006) | about 7 months ago | (#46359251)

None of his revelations were surprising. Granted there are probably some that got sadistic glee in doing the job but I am sure most are in it for a paycheck.

Re:Not surprising at all (2)

i kan reed (749298) | about 7 months ago | (#46359539)

I wish there was some objective test that would help us identify those that enjoy hassling others. Sadly the best metric we have is childhood essays on how they want to go into law enforcement.

Re:Not surprising at all (0)

I just wonder why he did the job if he hated it as much as he claims to. I smell bullshit. You don't sacrifice your principles for a job, especially not a peon job like TSA "agent".

Re:Not surprising at all (2)

N1AK (864906) | about 7 months ago | (#46359751)

Have you seen how many people are queuing up to work as barely tolerated drones in Amazon warehouses for piss poor wages? If you think people won't do just about anything in return for a wage then you're naive.

Re:Not surprising at all (0)

I think morally bankrupt people will, like this guy claiming to have cared so much about not doing these horrible things yet keeping the job anyways. Why didn't he leave and go work for Amazon? He would have made the same amount. Oh, that's right, because he actually got a kick out of pushing people around at the TSA and now that he's been fired, he's trying to lash back at them.

Re:Not surprising at all (1)

CanHasDIY (1672858) | about 7 months ago | (#46362811)

Fulfilling Amazon orders for minimum wage != finger-fucking toddlers and grannies.

Talk about comparing apples to Boeing 747s.

Re:Not surprising at all (0)

And people wonder why the plebs of San Francisco are assaulting buses and stealing Google glasses.

Re:Not surprising at all (0)

Nobody cares. San Francisco is one of the most filthy, disgusting places in the world.

Re:Not surprising at all (0)

interkin3tic (1469267) | about 7 months ago | (#46360093)

Not surprising to you. You're not the audience that needs to listen. The fox news crowd is the ones that should be listening.

(PS, by "Fox news crowd" I explicitly do not mean conservatives.)

We heard that before (1)

I am sure they are told that this is the law, and they are doing what supervisors told them to do. We heard that before, in Nuremberg. And, by the way, did you know that if you work for the government, and you are part of a certain special class, you are not subjected to searches? Straight from George Orwell animal farm: "Certain animals are more equal than others". Also, if you are from the list of countries where US government does not have a good relationship, you are automatically patted/scrutinized. So right now Cubans, Syrians and citizens from other 6 or so countries are automatically discriminated, as Jews were. If you are part of inner party (a privileged government employee), you get Nazi rights, you can pass through without any scrutiny at all.

Pilots hijacking planes (2)

QuasiSteve (2042606) | about 7 months ago | (#46359505)

I was even required to confiscate nail clippers from airline pilotsâ"the implied logic being that pilots could use the nail clippers to hijack the very planes they were flying

"Ethiopian Airlines co-pilot hijacks plane to seek Geneva asylum" - http://www.bbc.com/news/world-... [bbc.com]

Of course security theater would still be in effect regardless, considering he didn't even need any weapon. Maybe as 'ongoing efforts to strengthen air transport security', cockpits should have private restrooms ;)

Next Week (1)

sexconker (1179573) | about 7 months ago | (#46359897)

Be sure to HTTP GET next week when have a live Q&A with former DMV worker Latisha Lathishus. What secrets will she reveal? This report promises to be our most revealing since Dave blew the lid off of the secrets of the Post Office!

WillAffleckUW (858324) | about 7 months ago | (#46360111)

There are more than the two you know of in the US and the one in Mexico, at least in North America.

Re:Ask him about the five data collection centers (1)

Minupla (62455) | about 7 months ago | (#46360499)

Yes, because an entry level TSA employee would know about the secret data collection centers. That'd be like saying that the NSA would allow a low level sysadmin access to top secret plans to spy on Americans... er, carry on!

Min

Re:Ask him about the five data collection centers (0)

WillAffleckUW (858324) | about 7 months ago | (#46360863)

I never said he knew about them.

But it's good to start somewhere.

Btw I love that vid from the GHCQ feed of US Mac users with their not-really-turned-off vidcams. It makes me happy.

Advice on how to play the game (3, Informative)

noh8rz10 (2716597) | about 7 months ago | (#46360219)

Presumably you're fielding questions. I would like some real world advice on two things:
1) how can I get through security as fast as possible?
2) how can I minimize my chances of getting my nuts grabbed?

I'm not going to throw a principled fit at the security checkpoint because I know it won't accomplish anything at all. I'll fight my battles elsewhere. I'll play the game in line, yessir, yes ma'am, whatever. Just get me through an don't grab my nuts! I have a plane to catch and want to leave with my dignity intact.

So any advice on playing the game? That would be nice.

Re:Advice on how to play the game (1)

Soulskill (1459) | about 7 months ago | (#46360347)

We'll post a new thread when the Q&A actually starts -- he's much more likely to see your question there.

Re:Advice on how to play the game (1)

CelticWhisper (601755) | about 7 months ago | (#46360941)

As best I'm able to tell, there is no answer. I stopped flying 3 years ago (well, more now - October 2010) when they started with their policy of sexual assault because I realized that there is no way to guarantee I won't be touched. Strangers do not have my permission to place their hands on me for any reason, ever, and it was clear that there was a long list of secret reasons why these pig-thugs would take it upon themselves to force physical contact on a traveler. I've been taking Amtrak for all my long-distance trips (except for one in which my wife and I drove) and not only are there no security checkpoints (DHS poisonous-snake teams notwithstanding but I haven't run across those scum myself), the onboard experience is vastly superior to that of a plane. Definitely worth the tradeoff in speed.

The only winning move is not to play.

Re:Advice on how to play the game (0)

The best advice for playing the game? Do not play the game.

Stop flying. Money talks.

Just how much do you hate the Republicans... (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about 7 months ago | (#46362011)

for creating and maintaining the TSA mess? They've forced Obama to continue it. They haven't allowed him to make any changes to it. Her certainly bears no responsiblity for this horror. The Bush junta gets off on molesting children, and we see proof of that with their demands for the TSA to do so. Not a single TSA agent has been arrested for their constant and nonstop sexual assaults. Even you admitted to molesting children. Just how mad at you at Bush for making you do that?

UN Agenda 21 and your future (0)

UN Agenda 21, backed 100% by unelected central bankers (162 private central banks, one in every country), seeks to do a number of communist-style (communitarianism = soft communism; ref: Niki Raapana) changes to our world. One of them being reduced travel. This makes you easier to control. Hence, all the heightened security and plane-related terrorists threats, real or not. They will eventually come after your car ownership, as well. Also on the agenda: loss of private property ownership, a new world reserve currency tied to individual carbon credits and negative interest rates to prevent wealth accumulation (ref: EBCU and Tierra), and a one-world religion (ref: Alice Bailey, Lucis Trust and the UN, and the Theosophical Society). Have a nice day.

Check for New Comments