Build an Open-Source Electric Car In About One Hour

samzenpus posted about 9 months ago | from the new-wheels dept.

Open Source 188

First time accepted submitter joe5 writes "Like what Elon Musk has done and want to go all Etsy and build your own electric car? That's apparently now possible now thanks to the OSVehicle Tabby — dubbed the first "Open source vehicle" (memo: it may be cool, but it ain't the first). The OSV guys are taking pre-orders for the Tabby starter kit, with both the two-seater or four-seater configurations going for €500. Then you click to add options. (Note: seats is an "option" so that's the level of luxury you are dealing with here.) When the transaction's complete, OSV sends the parts to your home and you can download the plans and start building. Since the Tabby is open source, OSVehicle will also look to a community of owners and tinkerers for suggestions and recommendations."

I think (5, Insightful)

LookIntoTheFuture (3480731) | about 9 months ago | (#46170667)

that the motto for Slashdot should be changed from the beloved "News for nerds, stuff that matters" to "FUCK YOU, THAT'S WHY"

Re:I think (5, Insightful)

CheezburgerBrown . (3417019) | about 9 months ago | (#46170699)

Classic Slashdot or no slashdot

Re:I think (5, Insightful)

dmbasso (1052166) | about 9 months ago | (#46170785)

Let's start a sig campaign, prefix your's with [FUCK BETA]. This way you can stay on-topic and still protest.

Re:I think (4, Insightful)

dmbasso (1052166) | about 9 months ago | (#46170791)

Gee, that apostrophe was terrible, sorry. s/your's/yours

Btw, fuck beta.

Re:I think (5, Insightful)

aardvarkjoe (156801) | about 9 months ago | (#46170825)

Screw staying on topic.

The fact that every comment thread is being overrun with complaints about the beta site is going to drive a lot of people away. That costs /. money as the ad revenue disappears. And that's apparently all that those running the show understand.

If there's anything that I've learned in the last 15 years about Slashdot, it's that they essentially ignore all complaints. Giving them "feedback" about the new site isn't going to do anything. Depriving them of their money -- that might get their attention.

Re:I think (-1)

Shouldn't the beta site be able to do that on its own, in which case driving people away with complaints would become pointless? Unless there are a bunch of people around that would not leave because they like or simply don't care about the changes, and you want to try driving them away too. But that seems kind of like a dick move, as now everyone has to suffer, before before and after any mandatory changes, whether you like it or not.

Re:I think (5, Interesting)

Do you think a week long boycott would help them reconsider? Anyone serious about leaving should boycott the site from 10th to 17th of Feb. That should give Dice a good indication of what will happen if they force this shit on us.

mod parent up!! (0)

please mod parent up

Re:I think (0)

For now I just use http://slashdot.org/?nobeta=1

But if this shitty interface is forced on us, I'm out. I'm sure lots of people are going to leave. Also, tons of new users may come, but these are OTHER SORT OF USERS. I love Slashdot because of the way it shows me the information, but over that also because of the people commenting. If the shitty interface with big pictures is forced on us, this people is going to leave. They were here because they didn't need big fucking pictures. Can't read them, shitty interface, new users who love big pictures are here with stupid comments: I'm fucking out.

[FUCK BETA]

I seem... (2)

unitron (5733) | about 9 months ago | (#46171973)

...to have stolen your 1 week boycott idea about an hour ago, without knowing at the time that you'd suggested it first.

Actually, with the 14th in the middle of that time span, we can call it the Slashdot Valentine's Day Massacre if enough of us participate to kill beta off.

(I notice that sigs don't show up in beta)

(and that you have to put in manual paragraph breaks to get proper spacing--apparently the plan is to become more like HuffPo )

No. A week long boycott would NOT help. (3, Insightful)

MickLinux (579158) | about 9 months ago | (#46172293)

What would help is for some php coders to get together and come up with a website that has the look and feel of classic,and is scalable. Register a domain name, and have it waiting in the wings.

Or better yet, approach the guy who runs xkcd with it, and take it from there. He's shown that he can do well enough with what he had.

Re:I think (2)

LordFlower (606949) | about 9 months ago | (#46171135)

to that my good sirs and madams, Fuck Beta. Fuck Beta twice.

Re:I think (5, Funny)

to that my good sirs and madams, Fuck Beta. Fuck Beta twice.

Not even with your dick, sir! We have standards around here. Shockingly low standards, but standards nonetheless. And beta does not meet with those standards.

Re:I think (5, Informative)

Anaerin (905998) | about 9 months ago | (#46170845)

Got Stylish for FireFox or Chrome? Have a userstyle that does it's best to fix most of the problems with Slashdot beta. [userstyles.org] I haven't got everything the same, but I'm doing what I can. Making the web a better place, one stylesheet at a time...

Re:I think (5, Insightful)

Nice work. But if you pardon my analogy, that's like giving a condom to the guy who's trying to rape you.
[FUCK BETA] Now for Anonymous Cowards too.

Re:I think (1)

TubeSteak (669689) | about 9 months ago | (#46170985)

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.

I will still thank you for your effort, because it shows you care.

[FUCK BETA] (1)

[Fuck Beta] [Fuck Beta] [Fuck Beta] [Fuck Beta] [Fuck Beta] [Fuck Beta] [Fuck Beta] [Fuck Beta] [Fuck Beta] [Fuck Beta] [Fuck Beta] [Fuck Beta] [Fuck Beta] [Fuck Beta] [Fuck Beta] [Fuck Beta] [Fuck Beta] [Fuck Beta] [Fuck Beta] [Fuck Beta] [Fuck Beta] [Fuck Beta] [Fuck Beta] [Fuck Beta] [Fuck Beta] [Fuck Beta] [Fuck Beta] [Fuck Beta] [Fuck Beta] [Fuck Beta] [Fuck Beta] [Fuck Beta] [Fuck Beta] [Fuck Beta] [Fuck Beta] [Fuck Beta] [Fuck Beta] [Fuck Beta] [Fuck Beta] [Fuck Beta]

Re:I think (0)

I approve of this message.

[FUCK BETA]

Re:I think (0)

mv /. /dev/null

[FUCK BETA]

Re:I think (2)

betterprimate (2679747) | about 9 months ago | (#46171439)

I have a better idea. Let no one comment or let all moderator points go to those who protest the beta site.

Re:I think (2)

dmbasso (1052166) | about 9 months ago | (#46171625)

You can't force people to not comment, or to moderate as you suggested. But you can easily set [FUCK BETA] as your own sig.

The "let no one [do whatever he/she wants to do]" is the authoritarian approach, the one adopted by religious people (do not masturbate / have pre-marital sex / have gay sex / abort / have thoughts of your own).

So I can't agree that your idea is better.

TL;DR: 1 - you can't enforce it, 2 - if you could, it'd still be a dick thing to do (just like forcing this FUCKING BETA on us)

Re:I think (1)

dysmal (3361085) | about 9 months ago | (#46170873)

Dice.com already tried this but FaceBook had already claimed this

Re:I think (1)

dvh.tosomja (1235032) | about 9 months ago | (#46171379)

You forgot to "fuck beta"

Down with Beta (4, Insightful)

Seriously, it is terrible.

Slashdot Beta --- Now optimized for Windows 8.1 (5, Informative)

It still looks like ass though. It blends well with Metro UI at least............

Re:Slashdot Beta --- Now optimized for Windows 8.1 (3, Insightful)

phantomfive (622387) | about 9 months ago | (#46171303)

It blends well with Metro UI at least

I don't think that's a benefit.

Fuck Beta (-1)

It really fucking sucks big time.

Captcha: Outrage

FUCK BETA (-1)

Beta != Slashdot

Once there is only beta, there is no slashdot, just a name of what once in the URL of a dice holdings aggregation farm.

FUCK SOULLESS BETA

Fork Slashdot? (5, Interesting)

Any Web Loco (555458) | about 9 months ago | (#46170727)

Why don't we make our own Slashdot (with blackjack & hookers)? What IP is there in the site that we couldn't take with us? Could we take the moderation system (it's the only thing I can think of on Slashdot that's good and that no other site does as well)? I can't code for toffee but I'd be happy to make coffee & buy pizza for those who did.

yoinker? (2)

sgt scrub (869860) | about 9 months ago | (#46170841)

How did you go from "with blackjack & hookers" to the guy that makes coffee and buys pizza? I already hate your version unless you at least spring for the hookers.

Re:yoinker? (2, Insightful)

To be fair coffee and pizza is pretty much the nerd version of blackjack and hookers.

Hookers? (3, Funny)

JWSmythe (446288) | about 9 months ago | (#46171569)

If we had hookers, why would we need blackjack or Slashdot?

Re:Hookers? (1)

stealth_finger (1809752) | about 9 months ago | (#46171735)

If we had hookers, why would we need blackjack or Slashdot?

You need the slashdot to make the money to pay the hookers, the black jack is also for the hookers, but he isn't a card game.

Re:Hookers? (1)

JWSmythe (446288) | about 9 months ago | (#46171955)

If you're going to use that blackjack, you don't need money for the hookers anyways. But.. that will get you more prison time, if the pimp doesn't kill you first.

Re:Fork Slashdot? (2)

glavenoid (636808) | about 9 months ago | (#46170855)

What IP is there in the site that we couldn't take with us?

Unfortunately something like 15 years worth of usernames and comments, because although the comments are still owned by each respective user I doubt the database is.

Oh, and CowboyNeal.

Re:Fork Slashdot? (3, Interesting)

dotancohen (1015143) | about 9 months ago | (#46171009)

User comments could probably be taken care of on a limited per-user basis by scraping the user's personal page:
http://slashdot.org/~glavenoid [slashdot.org]

If a user opens an account on slashdotan and then _logs_into_slashdot_ via slashdotan (i.e. gives slashdotan his /. username and password) then I believe that the content could be legally scraped.

I'll go register the domain and see what I can code. Anybody who is interested can email me, my Gmail username is the same as my /. username.

Re:Fork Slashdot? (2)

phantomfive (622387) | about 9 months ago | (#46171441)

The first thing to do would be to create some kind of governance system, so we don't end up with a bunch of retarded monkeys running the site after you get tired of it. Or worse, it could end up as some kind of virtual HOA.

When things change, how are decisions to be made? That is the crucial question.

Re:Fork Slashdot? (5, Funny)

Spy Handler (822350) | about 9 months ago | (#46171041)

Is there even a need for any coding? I thought Slashcode was open source already.

slashcode (1)

JWSmythe (446288) | about 9 months ago | (#46171617)

Ya, people forget that http://slashcode.com/ [slashcode.com] exists. Or you can just roll your own and probably do better. :)

No need for /code (1)

shri (17709) | about 9 months ago | (#46171783)

Could be done very easily with Wordpress and moderated submissions. Comment ratings plugins exist ...

The problem is getting users to submit content. Trust me, the crowd that is so willing to go "Fuck Beta", is not the people submitting / moderating. Atleast thats what I think... .

NO WORDPRESS! (3, Insightful)

unitron (5733) | about 9 months ago | (#46172023)

Trust me on this.

It's the resemblance to WP sites and HuffPo that makes beta so objectionable in the first place.

I get 15 mod points at a time on a regular basis, by the way, even though it's been a while since I submitted anything.

Other Slashdots? (1)

JWSmythe (446288) | about 9 months ago | (#46171605)

There are plenty of other sites out there. So why don't you make your own Slashdot? You can get the code for the old (pre-beta) site from http://www.slashcode.com/ [slashcode.com] , which eventually leads to http://sourceforge.net/project... [sourceforge.net]

I don't know how well the code runs now, but a long time ago, it was real heavy on the server side. There are plenty of other options, you just have to get users in. I had one up for a while, but with only 4 users it didn't do so well.

mod 0p (-1)

[samag.com] 1n the GNAA and support 40,000 coming

Beta (0)

I'm glad I'm not on the beta yet. I have a bad feeling I won't be able to say that much longer.

Save Slashdot Classic (4, Insightful)

Bob9113 (14996) | about 9 months ago | (#46170757)

The meat of Slashdot, the substance that draws viewers here instead of the alternatives, is the comments. Lose those comments and you will lose the eyeballs. Lose the eyeballs and you will lose the ad revenue.

Alternatively, you can accept that you made a mistake, keep Slashdot classic, and keep the steady flow of cash. Make the right business decision, here, Dice. Don't kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.

Re:Save Slashdot Classic (1)

grumpyman (849537) | about 9 months ago | (#46171143)

Funny you said that because I'd suspect a lot of /. readers reads the summary on /. main page, then go directly to comments page without RTFA. I'm one of them probably 80% of the time, and there's a reason for extensive use of "RTFA" here :)

Re:Save Slashdot Classic (0)

Maybe Beta is a hot nerd

Slashdot Beata (0, Insightful)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ1H8KBnnhM [youtube.com]

I just wanna jizz on you forever

As cool as it is I fear that this'll be another... (1)

Noishkel (3464121) | about 9 months ago | (#46170773)

..project that'll go nowhere due to government intervention. Not that they'll directly ban this, but they'll probably never certify this for road use. Such a thing would be useful for running around a small community. But even then... as soon as it touches the main highroad way it'll come under jurisdiction of the state.

Re: As cool as it is I fear that this'll be anothe (1)

At least in Washington state, it's relatively easy to license a kit car. It must pass some minimum safety checks, but it's nothing compared to federal standards imposed on car manufacturers.
It's a big sacrifice of a lot of safety and comfort features, but then it's a sacrifice that motorcycle riders take as well.

Re:As cool as it is I fear that this'll be another (0)

OK, so this 'car' can change personal transportation within a community to electric. This means that emissions and engine noise will be reduced to those traveling to and from the community or those who needs to transport more than a small bag.
The price and size makes it into a pretty good complement to a regular car even for the middle class.

NO! (2, Insightful)

If you move me to the beta slashdot abortion i'll add this place to the block list and never visit again.

Too many other news sites regurgitate the exact same storys i see here. And all of them don't look as shitty as the beta slashdot.

Stop being stupid.

Misleading pricing in the simmary (0)

Misleading - €500 is just a deposit. From the site (4-seater): The full amount (€2090 + shipping & packaging) can be paid when your Tabby is completed.

For the two-seater model, it's €1990 + shipping & packaging.

Re:Misleading pricing in the simmary (2, Interesting)

SIMMARY

FUCK BETA

Fork Slashdot (5, Interesting)

tpaudio (651186) | about 9 months ago | (#46170795)

Perhaps we should just fork slashdot and name it Plusdot. I have a sneaking suspicion that we could get a big company like Rackspace to sponsor the servers for the project.

I am seriously searching for alternatives... (0)

I am seriously searching for alternatives to slashdot. It looks like beta will be forced upon us and the classic mode will get killed after some months. The single fact that all stories are having the same height already is annoying enough. I do not want to click in order to read the last lines.

Can anyone help me? I can't read the content here! (0)

I'm having a lot of trouble with the new beta site. It makes it really, really difficult to read the Slashdot content and to participate in the discussion.

The font coloring is really bad. There's too little contrast between the text and the background, so it's hard for people like me with poor eyesight to read what has been written.

There's a lot of empty space too. I find it very distracting and it's very wasteful. I have to scroll so much now just to read a few comments!

The story and comment text spacing is really weird too. It's like there are no paragraphs for some reason? Why's that?

Can anyone help me get back to the normal Slashdot? I could read that fine. I have tried the Slashdot Classic link at the bottom and I've tried the nobeta thing but they aren't working. I'm still getting the new site and it's very frustrating. Maybe I should just go to reddit instead?

Time for a slashdotting. (5, Informative)

Spread the word by mentioning this in every article's comments.

Here is Dice's "Contact Us" page. [diceholdingsinc.com] Everybody be sure to call them tomorrow using whatever numbers from that page you can get to ring. Tell every darn receptionist in every darn one of Dice's holdings, along with anyone you can get them to connect you to, that the Slashdot beta is terrible and you won't shut up until it goes away. Fax them a well-illustrated complaint or two or three. Send them a choice letter via snail mail, along with whatever memorabilia you wish.

They keep soliciting our feedback, they can get our feedback, right where it counts.

The most obvious contact points are:

Dice Holdings Inc.
1040 Avenue of the Americas, 8th Floor
New York, NY 10018
T: 212-725-6550
F: 212-725-6559

Slashdot
594 Howard St Suite 300
San Francisco, CA 94105
Tel: +1-877-433-5638
www.slashdot.com

Re:Time for a slashdotting. (2)

maliqua (1316471) | about 9 months ago | (#46170921)

i'm all out of mod points...
but this!! YES!

Re:Time for a slashdotting. (2)

luckymutt (996573) | about 9 months ago | (#46170953)

I wish I had mod points. I will be on the phone tomorrow.

Re:Time for a slashdotting. (-1, Flamebait)

the_olo (160789) | about 9 months ago | (#46171937)

Well, a receptionist is really unlikely to effect any real change.

On the other hand, Alice Hill - President at Slashdot Media [linkedin.com] or some of her bosses from Dice Holdings [diceholdingsinc.com] , like Michael P. Durney - President and CEO [diceholdingsinc.com] or Klavs Miller - Senior Vice President, Technology [diceholdingsinc.com] can be quite effective in stopping this madness and idiotic destruction of value, if they care to undersand the problem at hand.

I don't think all of this would happen if they realized that Slashdot's value doesn't stem from it as a news site (of which there are thousands), but as a news discussion site.

Messing with the comment, moderation and social functionalities and their design over here is playing with fire.

I don't think these folks understand that people don't come to Slashdot to read carefully selected news (which are not, BTW) in a pretty-glossy presentation, but to participate in or consume/read the discussion. And the new Beta demolishes that.

If someone else better skilled in writing would make a petition on http://www.petitiononline.com/ [petitiononline.com] and direct it at those guys, that would be so much more effective than ranting here in comments, which these people probably had never looked at, or harassing random rank-and-file Dice employees.

Re:Time for a slashdotting. (1)

cascadingstylesheet (140919) | about 9 months ago | (#46172013)

Spread the word by mentioning this in every article's comments.

The most obvious contact points are:

Dice Holdings Inc. 1040 Avenue of the Americas, 8th Floor New York, NY 10018 T: 212-725-6550 F: 212-725-6559

Slashdot 594 Howard St Suite 300 San Francisco, CA 94105 Tel: +1-877-433-5638 www.slashdot.com

Wow, they don't even have an online contact form. High tech to the core, they are ...

Fuck Slashdot Beta (4, Insightful)

NineNine (235196) | about 9 months ago | (#46170835)

I will quit reading Slashdot if that stupid Beta shit is implemented. It's horrible. It fixes nothing. It is not an improvement in any way.

Re:Fuck Slashdot Beta (3, Insightful)

pitchpipe (708843) | about 9 months ago | (#46171165)

Agreed! I will not use beta. Ever.

Not road-safe (2, Interesting)

That vehicle would never get approval where I live, because it does not have suitable protection for driver and passenger. It would get bootstomped the moment an inattentive soccer mom in a big assed hummer H3 started yelling at her "adorable" group of kids, while trying to enter the roadway from the drive-through lane at the fast food gorge-and-puke she stopped at to get "food" for all her "little superstars."

Just like Dice, while performing fellatio on its advertising partners is simply too distracted to pay any attention to the angry mob forming on slashdot until after they find themselves stranded with a poisoned asset after running over all the useful commenters with its big assed hunk of shit: "beta."

The idea is good, but I think I would be better serviced by seeing high capacity battery and charger tech hitting the open maketplace rather than seeing kits like these. There are already very nice high-torque, and high-rpm (and some that are both!) Electric motors on the open marketplace in use in agricultural settings, as well as in other markets, such as elevator drive motors and the like.

The major impediment to major DIY auto conversion is not the availability of body frames or motors, it is the lack of suitably dense power packs. Get the prices down on high capacity electrical storage and charging systems, and get them on the open market, and the conversion kit industry will boom.

Take for instance, things like the greasecar kits, for converting diesel engine vehicles to run on amost pure refuse vegetable oil. Things are really inexpensive. Very popular with the DIY tinkerer demographic.

A whole community could be formed around just providing links to suitable already on the market motors, coupled with the "killer app" of high volume sales of high capacity powerplants and chargers at consumer friendly prices. You'd see plans for engine mounts and drive line converters in mere days if you included a community forum.

Unlike this kit, which is quite clever but little more than an electric golf-kart, selling and making open hardware conversion kits for existing autobodies, and providing sourcing services through the community to locate suitable frames for conversion would get the tinkerer high availability of aftermarket parts for brakes, shocks, struts, bearings, wheels and other accessories, and would get them bodies with well established crash test ratings. (Though performance in crashes would almost certainly change from moving the weight around in the vehicle from the conversion. Even with that caveat, the vehicle would still be designed to attempt to save the driver and passenger's life far more aggressively than this open hardware kit ever will.)

But, wishing for a good, high capacity, and inexpensive powerplant for vehicles on the open market is like trying to collect unicorn sperm, or getting Dice to actually listen about the forced Beta (and Mobile) UI deployments.

Re:Not road-safe (2, Insightful)

Firethorn (177587) | about 9 months ago | (#46170917)

In most locations 'kit-cars' assembled by the consumer are exempt from most safety requirements, only needing the very basics such as lights. Selling said vehicle might be difficult though, and if you're selling them you probably want to be able to show that you're not making a business of it. IE you pay $15k for the parts, spend dozens to hundreds of hours putting it together, drive it for 5 years, sell for $5k.

Depending on the strength of the body kit, it might not be that bad in a collision, though it's still more of a beefed up gold cart than a car.

BETA - Google+ (0)

dysmal (3361085) | about 9 months ago | (#46170897)

Don't forget to share your feelings about whatever DICE posts on G+ or FB! Bonus points: Is BETA uglier than woot.com these days? 3

Finally, A Possibly Useful Poll Suggestion (5, Interesting)

cervesaebraciator (2352888) | about 9 months ago | (#46170915)

Will you will actually leave if Beta is implemented?

A) Yes.
B) I'm already working on a Slashdot alternative/competitor.
C) I'm not even here now. I left when it was clear user feedback would be ignored.
D) Rage has limited my response to a constant and inarticulate, "Fuck Beta." Ask me nothing more.
E) I'll say I will but force of habit will prevent it.
F) No.
G) Ever notice how there are no longer any Cowboy Neal options? Guess what made Cowboy Neal leave.

Re:Finally, A Possibly Useful Poll Suggestion (1)

LordFlower (606949) | about 9 months ago | (#46171151)

F.B.

Looks like a death trap. (1)

rebelwarlock (1319465) | about 9 months ago | (#46170925)

There's no way that thing's street legal. And if it is, you'll die the first time someone gingerly taps the driver's side. If you're lucky, you might ding their bumper in the process, but I wouldn't count on it.

What do you expect from a beta? (3, Funny)

cervesaebraciator (2352888) | about 9 months ago | (#46170951)

Yeah, it might not have all the features you want. As a matter of fact, it might be the opposite of what you want and what you actually like in a car. But, hey, it's a beta. Which means nothing will change and your input will be ignored.

Hey, it may be a deathtrap, but... (0)

I'd rather be seen dead in one of these than on Slashdot Beta!

Beta Fucking SUCKS!

Hey, it may be a deathtrap, but... (0)

I'd rather be seen dead riding around in one of those than using that fucking Slashdot BETA!

fuck beta (0)

fuckbeta (3527391) | about 9 months ago | (#46170957)

I was a passive reader for years, but something just transformed me to tell you all: Fuck Beta! If this crap becomes the only option, i will transform further... into a non reader. sincerely fuckbeta!

Buying Slashdot (5, Informative)

Gregory Arenius (1105327) | about 9 months ago | (#46170959)

So on an earlier thread I mentioned starting a kickstarter to buy Slashdot off of Dice. Many of us love the community here and would hate to see it killed off due the the incompetence of some Dice MBAs. I have no idea what a good number to start such a kickstarter at would be so I started by looking at the latest Dice quarterly report. I still haven't found numbers that are particularly helpful but I did come across a few interesting things that might help explain their seemingly inexplicable actions.

From the Operating Segment Results section:
"Corporate & Other segment revenues decreased 9% year-over-year to $4.3 million for the quarter ended December 31, 2013 from the comparable 2012 period, due primarily to the financial results at Slashdot Media."

From the recent Recent Developments section:
"Slashdot Media was acquired to provide content and services that are important to technology professionals in their everyday work lives and to leverage that reach into the global technology community benefiting user engagement on the Dice.com site. The expected benefits have started to be realized at Dice.com. However, advertising revenue has declined over the past year and there is no improvement expected in the future financial performance of Slashdot Media's underlying advertising business. Therefore, $7.2 million of intangible assets and $6.3 million of goodwill related to Slashdot Media were reduced to zero."

It seems they valued the goodwill of us Slashdot users at $13.5 million USD! Unfortunately it looks like they've already written that off?

Also, for Slashdotters who like to Slashdot things:
Investor & Media Contact:
Jennifer Bewley
Vice-President, Investor Relations & Corporate Communications
Dice Holdings, Inc.
212-448-4181
IR@dice.com

Oh, and a couple of their bigwigs will be at a conference in San Francisco in a couple of days:
On Monday, February 10, 2014, Mr. Durney and Mr. Roberts will participate at the Stifel Technology, Internet & Media Conference 2014 to be held in San Francisco. The fireside chat will be held at 2:45 PM Pacific time/5:45 PM Eastern time and will be webcast live from the Company's website.

Maybe a few of us would like to participate in that fireside chat, eh?

Cheers,
Greg

Re:Buying Slashdot (2)

guises (2423402) | about 9 months ago | (#46172259)

If buying Slashdot is really on the table then the cheapest way to do it would seem to be to wait until the beta goes through and the value drops to nothing.

Of course, the danger is that some other company would swoop in in the mean time...

The Environment!! (0)

TechyImmigrant (175943) | about 9 months ago | (#46170971)

These electric cars are bad for the environment. They cause emissions of a nasty toxic chemical known colloquially as 'Bee Tar'.

Calling on Anonymous (0, Funny)

DDoS this BETA site.

Inject a poll that we can all vote on that stays persistent on the site so the persons(s) responsible for this slashed bleeding period can be terminated and arrested.

Thank You.

zenlessyank was here

Fuck Beta (0)

Fuck Beta

SLASHBETA SUCKS. FUCK BETA (0)

It is official; Netcraft now confirms: *BSD is dying

One more crippling bombshell hit the already beleaguered *BSD community when IDC confirmed that *BSD market share has dropped yet again, now down to less than a fraction of 1 percent of all servers. Coming close on the heels of a recent Netcraft survey which plainly states that *BSD has lost more market share, this news serves to reinforce what we've known all along. *BSD is collapsing in complete disarray, as fittingly exemplified by failing dead last in the recent Sys Admin comprehensive networking test.

You don't need to be a Kreskin to predict *BSD's future. The hand writing is on the wall: *BSD faces a bleak future. In fact there won't be any future at all for *BSD because *BSD is dying. Things are looking very bad for *BSD. As many of us are already aware, *BSD continues to lose market share. Red ink flows like a river of blood.

FreeBSD is the most endangered of them all, having lost 93% of its core developers. The sudden and unpleasant departures of long time FreeBSD developers Jordan Hubbard and Mike Smith only serve to underscore the point more clearly. There can no longer be any doubt: FreeBSD is dying.

Let's keep to the facts and look at the numbers.

OpenBSD leader Theo states that there are 7000 users of OpenBSD. How many users of NetBSD are there? Let's see. The number of OpenBSD versus NetBSD posts on Usenet is roughly in ratio of 5 to 1. Therefore there are about 7000/5 = 1400 NetBSD users. BSD/OS posts on Usenet are about half of the volume of NetBSD posts. Therefore there are about 700 users of BSD/OS. A recent article put FreeBSD at about 80 percent of the *BSD market. Therefore there are (7000+1400+700)*4 = 36400 FreeBSD users. This is consistent with the number of FreeBSD Usenet posts.

Due to the troubles of Walnut Creek, abysmal sales and so on, FreeBSD went out of business and was taken over by BSDI who sell another troubled OS. Now BSDI is also dead, its corpse turned over to yet another charnel house.

All major surveys show that *BSD has steadily declined in market share. *BSD is very sick and its long term survival prospects are very dim. If *BSD is to survive at all it will be among OS dilettante dabblers. *BSD continues to decay. Nothing short of a cockeyed miracle could save *BSD from its fate at this point in time. For all practical purposes, *BSD is dead.

Fact: *BSD is dying

How long have I been here? (1)

PingXao (153057) | about 9 months ago | (#46171107)

Is there a way to see in your acct info how long you've been registered here? I looked for a bit and didn't see anything obvious that would tell me. The only info I have locally is the dates and times I've changed my password. The earliest date I have is early 2008 but I'm sure I was here for at least a few years before that.

(reply to self) Almost forgot... (4, Funny)

PingXao (153057) | about 9 months ago | (#46171121)

Tried posting, "Fuck Beta"

Received error: "This exact comment has already been posted. Try to be more original..."

Okey Dokey then..... Fuck Beta Sideways

Re:(reply to self) Almost forgot... (0)

Fuck Beta Jawbreakers

Re:How long have I been here? (0)

According to your UID number you signed up way before 2008, probably 2001-2002 or before 2003 for sure. I have 3xx,xxx and I signed up before 2003.

I'm pretty sure user pages on Slashdot used to show this info, then stopped.

ALSO FUCK SLASHBETA AND FUCK YOU DICE FAGGOT FUCK HOLDINGS.

The only topic is: REJECT THE BETA (0)

Hey Dice! You guys got any brain cells?

DITCH THE BETA. IT SUCKS ARSE!

confirmed: beta is garbage (5, Informative)

adndgamer (1642545) | about 9 months ago | (#46171137)

After reading all the up-roar about beta I had to check it out.

Yup. It sucks.

Re:confirmed: beta is garbage (1)

Eg0r (704) | about 9 months ago | (#46171733)

The top comments on alterslash [alterslash.org] are all about the beta, so I had to check it out too...

To be honest, I'm glad I jumped the ship 10-11 years ago.

Quick alterslash fix in the morning while drinking my coffee and I'm done.

Slashdot beta (2)

darkz0r (2779267) | about 9 months ago | (#46171139)

Its.....amazing how bad it is....is it coded by Gitmo guards that want to torture us?

Just waiting for Beta to go full-retard (0)

...and bombard us with vaping and weed advertisements as part of the "new focus" for their advertisements. How low can Dice sink?

I actually tried out Beta for a while, and it's just fucking terrible all around. Like others have said, it looks like one of those fake news aggregator sites that spammers set up.

Fuck Beta (1)

[Fuck Beta] [Fuck Beta] [Fuck Beta]

slashdot beta sucks donkey balls. (4, Insightful)

I feel bad for the person who thought Slashdot Beta was a good idea. That person is like the kid on South Park who shit his pants in the middle of class.

However, unlike the kid on South Park who shit his pants in the middle of class, it's not too late for the Slashdot Beta designer. Sure, we have all seen Slashdot Beta, we have covered our eyes, held our noses, and screamed "WHAT IS THAT!?" But unlike a turd splattered into one's pants, Slashdot Beta can be undone. It can be returned to the place from which it came. And then it can be crafted into something that isn't a turd.

Don't destroy a good pair of pants for nothing. You can stop this.

Fuck beta! (0)

Not again this fucking beta version.

What Beta? (0)

Why I hate Open Source (1)

Jack Griffin (3459907) | about 9 months ago | (#46171369)

I'm interested in this as a garage project, but after quickly browsing the website I couldn't one one single picture of the car that wasn't a crappo CAD drawing. I know you guys hate MBAs and Microsoft and shit, but FFS at least those guys know that couple of pictures goes a long way when you're trying to sell stuff.

Re:Why I hate Open Source (1)

Jack Griffin (3459907) | about 9 months ago | (#46171391)

PS. Fuck the Beta!

great (1)

SuperDre (982372) | about 9 months ago | (#46171477)

if you have you own compound to drive the car around, but in most countries it's illegal to drive a self build car without licenseplates (and that requires the car being tested, if that's even possible for a self-build car in some countries)..

Fuck us? (0)

If beta wants to fuck me so much, then maybe I should think about some protection? How about a little courtesy kiss before you fuck me, beta?

Why reinvent the sand rail? (4, Informative)

JWSmythe (446288) | about 9 months ago | (#46171727)

This looks like a reinvented sand rail, except not as safe, and not road legal.

I've seen sand rails on the road in some states. Check with your DMV to see about registering "experimental", "homemade" or "homebuilt" vehicles.

You can get a rolling sand rail chassis pretty cheap, and put in your choice of engine, transmission, seat(s), lights, etc. Just like the vehicle in the article, you could assemble one in a few hours.

In my state, besides the obvious (engine/motor, steering wheel, etc), they require: headlights (2), turn signals (4), brakes (2), bumpers (2), fenders (all wheels), horn (1), seat, seat belt (if not a motorcycle), tires (2 or 3 for motorcycle, 4+ for cars). All lighting must be DOT approved, which is easy enough to get from auto parts stores. Lighting and bumpers have to be within a certain height from the ground. I think that was all the requirements. That's from memory.

Pretty much, you just build it. You then go to the DMV and fill out a "Statement of Builder".

http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/form... [flhsmv.gov]

You can then drive it (or trailer it) to the DMV for a safety inspection.

They get a lot of homebuilt motorcycles, since you can buy every part without a donor vehicle.

Homebuilt cars are usually custom cars built on existing chassis. If you're building on a sandrail chassis (like this almost appears), you just can't provide the source chassis VIN. If you're proficient with welding, you can build your own chassis, but that takes some skill.

I've put a few homebuilt trailers on the road legally. Pretty much those just required me to go in with a weight and length, and sign off on some papers. It was up to me to affirm that I complied with the safety (lighting, hitch, etc) requirements.

YAOSV (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 months ago | (#46172091)

They should have check the existing market and choose a more honest name.