Beta

×

Welcome to the Slashdot Beta site -- learn more here. Use the link in the footer or click here to return to the Classic version of Slashdot.

Thank you!

Before you choose to head back to the Classic look of the site, we'd appreciate it if you share your thoughts on the Beta; your feedback is what drives our ongoing development.

Beta is different and we value you taking the time to try it out. Please take a look at the changes we've made in Beta and  learn more about it. Thanks for reading, and for making the site better!

Antarctic Climate Research Expedition Trapped In Sea Ice

timothy posted about 7 months ago | from the that-looks-like-a-fun-vacation dept.

Earth 209

First time accepted submitter Stinky Cheese Man writes "An Antarctic climate research expedition, led by climate researcher Chris Turney of the University of New South Wales, has become trapped in heavy ice near the coast of Antarctica. The captain has issued a distress call and three nearby icebreaker ships are on their way to the rescue. According to Turney's web site, the purpose of the expedition is 'to discover and communicate the environmental changes taking place in the south.'"

cancel ×

209 comments

Sorry! There are no comments related to the filter you selected.

First Pole! (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about 7 months ago | (#45790085)

Frist Ploe!

Re:First Pole! (2)

Moblaster (521614) | about 7 months ago | (#45790113)

It's not about being the frist pole. It's about being the first best poler who can spell.

Re:First Pole! (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 7 months ago | (#45790183)

</intentional> (see GP title) Whoosh.

Re:First Pole! (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 7 months ago | (#45790863)

Right, because no one has _ever_ misspelled something after they've correctly spelled it once.

Re: First Pole! (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about 7 months ago | (#45790877)

First post is tradionally written with "frist"

It's fags like you ruining slashdot

Re: First Pole! (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about 7 months ago | (#45791399)

yeah, you dumb fag. either stop being dumb, or stop being a fag.

Re: First Pole! (1)

rmdingler (1955220) | about 7 months ago | (#45791689)

Is that you, Phil?

Re:First Pole! (1)

Evil Pete (73279) | about 7 months ago | (#45790627)

Frist Ploe!

Non-canonical. No karma for you!

Ya. (-1, Offtopic)

Anonymous Coward | about 7 months ago | (#45790109)

This will be fun.

Weather is not Climate.

Except when it's hot.

Or, it's a hurricane.

Mission accomplished (4, Funny)

roc97007 (608802) | about 7 months ago | (#45790167)

> the purpose of the expedition is 'to discover and communicate the environmental changes taking place in the south.

Looks like they found some.

Re:Mission accomplished (1)

Anonymous Coward | about 7 months ago | (#45790203)

Global cooling confirmed!

Re:Mission accomplished (3, Insightful)

roc97007 (608802) | about 7 months ago | (#45790291)

I had not intended to imply that. Only that, if there were an unusual amount of sea ice in what amounts to the peak of summer in the south, that would be interesting data.

My point was more like "you can find interesting data even in failure". They did not get to their destination, but the reason why may yield data important to their project. Just sayin'.

Re:Mission accomplished (0)

Optimal Cynic (2886377) | about 7 months ago | (#45790415)

It'll yield a lot more that's relevant to sarcastic climate denier blogs. Well done Dr Turney, another PR triumph!

Re:Mission accomplished (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about 7 months ago | (#45791873)

hahahahahahahahahaha
GW my ass;Clive Best

Re:Mission accomplished (2)

riverat1 (1048260) | about 7 months ago | (#45790999)

It may be just past the summer solstice in the southern hemisphere but like the northern hemisphere the sea ice minimum occurs closer to the autumnal equinox which will be in March. A ship getting trapped in sea ice like this is more a matter of luck and bad timing than any unusual amounts of sea ice. The wind shifts unexpectedly and moves the existing sea ice into a position that blocks the ship. It doesn't take all that much ice to block a ship.

One interesting fact about Antarctica is that the sea ice essentially melts out completely every year so there is no carry over from one year to the next like there is in the Arctic.

Re:Mission accomplished (0, Troll)

war4peace (1628283) | about 7 months ago | (#45791683)

One interesting fact about Antarctica is that the sea ice essentially melts out completely every year so there is no carry over from one year to the next like there is in the Arctic.

Another interesting fact is that what you're saying is essentially bullshit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antarctic_ice_sheet [wikipedia.org]

Do you see the water levels rising by 70 meters each year? 'cause I sure as hell don't.

Re:Mission accomplished (1)

sumdumass (711423) | about 7 months ago | (#45791801)

Even more of an interesting fact is that sea ice is only part of the antarctic ice sheet and is often ignored when talking of the later.

Seriously, he limited his comment to the ice in the sea and as we know, ice is equal to the amount of water it displaces so there will be no rise in sea level when "sea ice"melts.

Re:Mission accomplished (1)

WaxItYourself (3476319) | about 7 months ago | (#45791279)

Because a cooling Antarctic means the entire globe is cooling right?

Re:Mission accomplished (1, Flamebait)

bricko (1052210) | about 7 months ago | (#45791667)

How did this get past the Slashdot censors. They have been censoring any discussion of GW for some time. Must be run by the Reddit asshats now. Especially since the IPCC is now trying to figure out the lack of warming for the last 15 yrs. Or.....we could look at all the predictor models.....vs REALITY http://www.drroyspencer.com/2013/04/global-warming-slowdown-the-view-from-space/ [drroyspencer.com]

Re:Mission accomplished (1)

rmdingler (1955220) | about 7 months ago | (#45791759)

After the takeover of reddit by the AMA bunch, subsequent attempts at /. by redditors were dispensed with the evening meal's cutlery because no one believed they were actually 'going to try to land the plane'.

Global Cooling (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 7 months ago | (#45790189)

So liek .. ice is growing.. ship got trapped .. climate's doing well .. go home already!

Counter Point (2)

RocketChild (1397411) | about 7 months ago | (#45790499)

They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let'm crash.

Seems there's more ice than usual in the antarctic (5, Interesting)

mc6809e (214243) | about 7 months ago | (#45790201)

Re:Seems there's more ice than usual in the antarc (0, Flamebait)

Ol Olsoc (1175323) | about 7 months ago | (#45790355)

This completely disproves the idea of Global warming.

Perhaps not though, what it does prove is the complete intellecutual bankruptcy of the deniers. You cherry pick the data, and only choose what seems to allow you to take the Ancient Aliens approach of "Oooh, an anomaly - Ancient Aliens."

And since you were dishonest enought to post only what you wanted, allow me to post the rest: http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/ [uiuc.edu]

So now do you try to discredit the people you were using as proof of your denialism? Or is everything they do wrong except for the stuff you like?

Science is not like politics. Scientists allow things to be discussed that need further explanation, or do not fit. But when people are of a mind to get their science education from politicians, then everything that doesn't fit must be denied.

Re:Seems there's more ice than usual in the antarc (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 7 months ago | (#45790493)

Oh dear god my eyes! A highly regarded institution like UIUC, and a webpage straight out of 1995 AOL.

Totally agree with what you're saying though.

Re:Seems there's more ice than usual in the antarc (4, Insightful)

djmurdoch (306849) | about 7 months ago | (#45790495)

The GP posted a statement of fact, relevant to the story. Doesn't sound like a denialist to me.

Re:Seems there's more ice than usual in the antarc (0, Troll)

alexander_686 (957440) | about 7 months ago | (#45790705)

Right – go the source. Artic air temp is the highest it has ever been, ice loss is at its highest in the past 50 years, etc.

The GP then picks a single point of data that covers only 2 years and says “Ha!” At the very least he is cheery picking his data. He is probably misinterpreting the conclusions of the scientist. (Which is not to say that their pronouncements are perfect. Different people can look at the same data and come up with the different results. The problem is taking a single fact out of context.) The deeper problem is that the data actually may indicate a warming trend, not cooling. As it gets warmer the glaciers calf icebergs at a faster rate so you get more surface area covered with ice, not more ice - as this will last as long as the glaciers last.

Re:Seems there's more ice than usual in the antarc (1)

Anonymous Coward | about 7 months ago | (#45790911)

grab an atlas, learn the difference between the arctic and Antarctic retard.

Re:Seems there's more ice than usual in the antarc (2)

djmurdoch (306849) | about 7 months ago | (#45790981)

I don't see how Arctic air temperature is at all relevant to a story about a ship stuck in Antarctic ice.

But you also seem to be reading things that just aren't there. The post *did not* say "Ha!". It was a statement of a fact. That's all.

Re:Seems there's more ice than usual in the antarc (0)

Ol Olsoc (1175323) | about 7 months ago | (#45791405)

I don't see how Arctic air temperature is at all relevant to a story about a ship stuck in Antarctic ice.

I dunno, perhaps it's because the two places are on the same planet? Relevance depends on the argument. If it about summer versus winter, well it's summer in the Antarctic, and winter in the Arctic. If it is about how odd that a boat gets stuck in ice during the summer, then it starts getting relevant. But let us not kid ourselves.

But you also seem to be reading things that just aren't there. The post *did not* say "Ha!". It was a statement of a fact. That's all.

Oh, so this is like when Fox News has a story about how the Arctic is melting, and the talking head states "Some people would like to point out that there is more sea ice than ever!", then they show that graph? Then they say "We present the facts, and you decide".

Regardless, the intellectual dishonesty lies in the presentation, in choosing the particular "facts' to present.

And I just have to repeat this quote from your post

But you also seem to be reading things that just aren't there.

THIS! You are 100 percent correct, and unimpeachably so!

I will swear in a court of law that I did read things that were not there, and were no where in his linked graph. I read the reports it came from. Guilty as charged, you have found me out.

Re:Seems there's more ice than usual in the antarc (1)

hey! (33014) | about 7 months ago | (#45791673)

Still not enough to merit an accusation of dishonesty. It's just an interesting fact, that people with working brains can take into account without hyperventilating.

It actually *is* a quite interesting fact, because it shows how the relationship of antarctic ice to global temperatures is quite complicated, as are weather conditions in any one region of the Earth at any particular time. It's something to keep in mind, next time you look out your window and see a little unseasonable snow, or unseasonable sunshine for that matter.

Re: Seems there's more ice than usual in the antar (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about 7 months ago | (#45791451)

denialist is not really a word. only a douchbag says thigs like "denialist". Who talks that way?
nobody.

Re: Seems there's more ice than usual in the antar (1)

djmurdoch (306849) | about 7 months ago | (#45791827)

Anonymous cowards are nobodies. I'd expect you to be saying it!

That sword cuts both ways buddy (5, Insightful)

SuperKendall (25149) | about 7 months ago | (#45790527)

what it does prove is the complete intellecutual bankruptcy of the deniers

You AGW cultists are a real trip. When you say there will be less sea ice before you say there will be more [forbes.com] , it means that the scientists arguing against your beliefs are the ones in intellectual bankruptcy?

Have the stones to admit you don't actually understand what you thought you did. But then, a real cultist will die before undergoing change to deeply held beliefs...

Re:That sword cuts both ways buddy (-1, Troll)

Ol Olsoc (1175323) | about 7 months ago | (#45791467)

You AGW cultists are a real trip.

You forgot "socialist liberal tools sucking at the teats of Marx and Engels, whilst plotting to make the world a poorer place."

Come back and make your argument when the strongest part of it isn't a less than clever pejorative

Re:Seems there's more ice than usual in the antarc (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 7 months ago | (#45790547)

Yeah, because there are no James Hansens in the world. I'm super cereal.

Re:Seems there's more ice than usual in the antarc (5, Insightful)

JWW (79176) | about 7 months ago | (#45790567)

Your post is unbelievable.

The GP poster posted a subject of:

Seems there's more ice than usual in the antarctic

And then they posted a LINK to a graph that proved their subject.

THIS IS ALL THEY POSTED!! No follow on sentences about global warming. No links to any other sites about global warming or to sites denying global warming for that matter.

The post stated only facts, and made no arguments. Facts that seem to be backed up by the research vessel being stuck in the ice.

YOU brought global warming into the discussion, YOU called the GP poster a denier (note: I am speaking only to evidence in the GP post, if mc6809e is a raging denier elsewhere I don't know it).

This isn't really cherry picking of data, it is only presentation of data.

If there is an increase in antarctic summer ice at the same time there is a decrease in arctic summer ice, we should study what is happening.

There really wasn't a global warming argument being made in the GP. You just saw one there. Check your glasses.

Re:Seems there's more ice than usual in the antarc (2, Interesting)

Anonymous Coward | about 7 months ago | (#45790673)

:-) welcome to climate "discussion". It is like talking to religious fanatic -- logic just doesn't work. I gave up trying to argue with them long ago and probably this is exactly what they want -- to control mass media (in this case chats/reddit/etc).

Re:Seems there's more ice than usual in the antarc (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 7 months ago | (#45790851)

Funny cause it also goes the same way with those that deny there is a God. You can give so much proof and how science proves it and yet it is dismissed as craziness.

Re:Seems there's more ice than usual in the antarc (1)

tompaulco (629533) | about 7 months ago | (#45791435)

Science can't prove there is no God. It can only provide evidence that suggests that what people claim to have seen God do cannot have happened.

Re:Seems there's more ice than usual in the antarc (1)

bored_engineer (951004) | about 7 months ago | (#45790817)

I started out intending to past a comment similar to yours, so I went through comments by mc6809e for about 20 minutes, and can't find any indications that mc6809e (McFhaie?) gives a fig one way or the other. I found one other post relating to climate (http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=3588831&cid=43296077) and one post indirectly discussing pollution (http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=3167773&cid=41568249).

Re:Seems there's more ice than usual in the antarc (0, Interesting)

Anonymous Coward | about 7 months ago | (#45790599)

Hilarious. Calling people "deniers".

www.climatedepot.com

Is that good enough for you? You alarmists crack me up. Self righteous idiots - 'useful idiots', as comrade Lenin would have called you...

Re:Seems there's more ice than usual in the antarc (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 7 months ago | (#45790609)

Science is a religion and religious zealots will defended Science Dogma to the dead.

science is the observation of "stuff" and coming to some theory and then testing, testing, testing to reduce observation to fact. Observation and testing causes science to change.

Re:Seems there's more ice than usual in the antarc (1, Troll)

Teancum (67324) | about 7 months ago | (#45790677)

You cherry pick the data, and only choose what seems to allow you to take the Ancient Aliens approach of "Oooh, an anomaly - Ancient Aliens."

There is plenty of cherry picking of data by all sides of this argument, and far more money to be had for those who support the anthropological global warming hypothesis (especially for "reputable research groups").

Science should not be as completely contaminated by politics as this particular issue has become, as it really is now a political issue and not a scientific issue as well. That scientists are being active in politics (to keep that money flowing if for no other reason) is one of many reasons why this whole debate is becoming very tiresome for me. Arguments at science conferences about the value of the Hubble Constant or the status of Pluto are one thing, but deciding the fate of entire industries, literally trillions of dollars and how the world's economy is going to reshaped to fit the consequences of this discussion is why so many people have such a huge stake in such a thing. If Pluto is demoted (or has been demoted), nobody really cares other than a bunch of science museums where curators need to rework their orrery and planetarium systems (tens or hundreds of dollars at most at stake). Well, I guess a bunch of school kids have spent a bit more money chewing out Neil DeGrasse Tyson, but it doesn't get even into the million dollar rages at the worst possible estimate of economic impact. More than a million dollars gets spent each time a climate scientist talks at a congressional hearing on AGW.

Re:Seems there's more ice than usual in the antarc (1)

s.petry (762400) | about 7 months ago | (#45790681)

Which should make you question why we are continuing to argue Global Warming versus Climate damage by human causes which we can prove and know exists.

In the early 1970s we all heard about how we were messing up the world with pollution. Ocean dead zones have grown by leaps and bounds since somehow the topic was diverted from "clean shit up" to "global warming". We could say the same for massive amounts of pollution on the land, water supplies, oceanic garbage pits, deforestation and destruction of terrain, uninhabitable zone increases, etc...

It should also beg the question regarding geoengineering which has been happening without much public knowledge. But hey, you were right about that "Global Warming". Now can we get back to the real problem instead of yelling about how right we are?

Science is not like politics.

That is an arguable statement, because what gets published and gets attention _is_ political. I think I'd agree that long ago your statement was true, but certainly not within the last decade or so.

And before you jump to an incorrect conclusion, I have never been an advocate for either Global Warming or it's counter. I have said for a very long time that it's the wrong argument to be having numerous times and numerous places including here. I'm glad you can believe you won an argument, but there is plenty left to debate and try to resolve.

Re:Seems there's more ice than usual in the antarc (1)

Ol Olsoc (1175323) | about 7 months ago | (#45791819)

Which should make you question why we are continuing to argue Global Warming versus Climate damage by human causes which we can prove and know exists.

I just get annoyed with idiots. You post something that would appear to be a no brainer, and suddenly you become a liberal marxist socialist tool of the evil Kenyan Overlords. And that the intellectual heavyweights in the opposition's corner are Creationist politicians and people who stand to make profit who use the same techniques they use to deny evolution as they do to deny the Greenhouse gas effects, and the energy being put into the atmosphere via that effect.

As for my real thoughts on AGW, I am of the firm belief that we are giong to ride that bus until we run off the cliff. My own admittedly limited investigations lead me to believe that not only are we well past the point of stopping what is going to happen, but any country that tries to do anything will be more than offset by other countries.There is too much low hanging fruit fuel available.

This roller coaster has left the ticket line.

Re:Seems there's more ice than usual in the antarc (1)

phantomfive (622387) | about 7 months ago | (#45790961)

I guess you're having a bad day.

Me too, I have to work on Christmas week. But look on the bright side, Slashdot is a good work substitute!

Re:Seems there's more ice than usual in the antarc (1)

Anonymous Coward | about 7 months ago | (#45791081)

Arctic sea ice extent in 2013 has increased from its unusually low value in 2012 to be within the normal range (within a 2 sigma band around the mean value). Antarctic sea ice extent is unusually large in 2013 (outside of the 2 sigma band). Global sea ice extent (Southern Hemisphere + Northern Hemisphere) is above average and trending higher.

Re:Seems there's more ice than usual in the antarc (4, Interesting)

Beeftopia (1846720) | about 7 months ago | (#45791455)

mc6809e wrote:
There's about 1.53 million more square km of ice than what is usual. [uiuc.edu]

Ol Olsoc wrote:
allow me to post the rest: http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/ [uiuc.edu]

mc6809e noted that in the SOUTHERN hemisphere, there is a +1.53 million square km ice anomaly.

However, in the follow-on post, it shows that in the NORTHERN hemisphere, there is a -0.63 million square km [uiuc.edu] ice anomaly.

So, +1.53 - 0.63 = +0.9 net global ice difference over the past 3 years. And this is relative to the mean from 1978-2008.

Personally, it does make sense to me that there is AGW, but these graphs indicate a net global sea ice increase over the past 3 years. Is it the last word in the discussion? No, but it is an interesting data point.

It's summer down there now (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 7 months ago | (#45790217)

Don't forget that south of the equator summer started about a week ago.

Antarctica is Awesome... (3, Insightful)

DexterIsADog (2954149) | about 7 months ago | (#45790229)

...it's starkly beautiful, and nothing compares to hiking an extinct volcano and looking down on a colony of hundreds of penguins.

But I don't recommend getting stuck there. No. Definitely not.

Re:Antarctica is Awesome... (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 7 months ago | (#45790423)

Did you guys see that horizon? It looks more like a peak you can almost see over, what a beautifully desolate place.

Re:Antarctica is Awesome... (1)

angel'o'sphere (80593) | about 7 months ago | (#45790631)

Here in my town is a small sailing club. Not really a club but a school.
A few months ago we had a photo/film show about(by) a couple traveling through the arctica with a sailing ship.
One very funny part of one photo show or movie (don't remember, I guess the camara man involved wanted to make a movie and his GF photographed him and we saw the photos).
So the camara man is moving to a small snow hill with a dozen or so pinguins on top.
Plants his camara in front of them, like 5 yards away.
And while he watches them and wonders how to film them perfectly and was setting up his camera one pinguin jumped down. The pinguine made a big circle to the left to finally come up from behind the camera man standing to his right. The pinguin was watching its comrades and always was very agitated looking to the camera man, like he was saying: oki! Lets go! What is it you find so funny? Why are you filming us (erm them) ... the whole sequence with that pinguine was so hillarious!

isn't the ice supposed to be melted by now? (0)

alen (225700) | about 7 months ago | (#45790243)

every summer there are stories of the ice melting and falling into the ocean and whatever and how there won't be any ice left soon

Re:isn't the ice supposed to be melted by now? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 7 months ago | (#45790287)

Such an intelligent comment! Can I please have my cheeseburger now, alen?

Re:isn't the ice supposed to be melted by now? (1)

alexander_686 (957440) | about 7 months ago | (#45790363)

No, not yet.

Climate science’s predictive powers are poor. Which is the nature of young science, using scant data and unable to run many experiments. The worst case dire predictions make headlines. The hashing out of the important but dull details does not.

This is a good example. The scientist correctly predicted that the artic would warm, but they have tended to underestimate the speed that it has warmed. Asked scientists 10 years ago if the artic would be free of ice in 50 years you would have gotten a resounding “no”. Today? A tentative “yes”.

Re:isn't the ice supposed to be melted by now? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 7 months ago | (#45790787)

> Asked scientists 10 years ago if the arctic would be free of ice in 50 years you would have gotten a resounding “no”. Today? A tentative “yes”. ... Will it happen? A definitive "no idea". :-D

Re:isn't the ice supposed to be melted by now? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 7 months ago | (#45790793)

No, not yet.

Climate science’s predictive powers are poor. Which is the nature of young science, using scant data and unable to run many experiments. The worst case dire predictions make headlines. The hashing out of the important but dull details does not.

This is a good example. The scientist correctly predicted that the artic would warm, but they have tended to underestimate the speed that it has warmed. Asked scientists 10 years ago if the artic would be free of ice in 50 years you would have gotten a resounding “no”. Today? A tentative “yes”.

This is a video of Al Gore in autumn 2008 quoting climate scientists saying the arctic would likely (80%) be ice free in five years:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hI5t3Uwfkk&t=26m58s [youtube.com]

Moving the goalposts after the fact isn't science.

Re:isn't the ice supposed to be melted by now? (1)

bussdriver (620565) | about 7 months ago | (#45790891)

No their predictive powers are not poor; they are better than psychics, TV pundits, most political advisers, many investors...

This is not weather forecasting, it's a long term science akin to geology. You can use geology to predict projections into the future too. It'll do about as well in the end but watching year by year to see how the century comes out is like complaining a rocket is off trajectory by meters... what matters is if it ends up within meters of the target and you are not going to know until it gets there.

In this case, we are adjusting the whole model as the projection plays out which makes it impossible - even if you are 100% correct, the answer changes as you alter the problem. CA is going into the ocean, slowly - not a hard projection to make and we can't conceive of altering that course anytime soon-- but it may happen and it doesn't make that projection wrong. This is more like some sci-fi time travel story line where small probabilities can impact the outcome greatly.

No the worst case projections were NOT reported, the average projected trend-line was. They figured we were too stupid to read a proper projection graph. The extreme disasters possible were reported... with each one trying to out shock the other, I'm surprised the Planetary Science people were not pulled into it with all the known extremes that happen on other planets... wrap those around implied connections to Earth by the "reporter" and they could have warped it even more. I remember the 80s stuff about how we only use 1% of the brain; which is still true, but they reported it inaccurately as if that was ALL the time when the science had different levels for different activities - setting up a strawman was setup against brain science.

Re:isn't the ice supposed to be melted by now? (1)

alexander_686 (957440) | about 7 months ago | (#45791219)

You can’t have it both ways. You can’t say that you have predictive power, that it is less than 100% (i.e. weather forecasting), but it is better than flipping a coin (i.e. psychics ). In short, you are not making any statement about its predictive powers. How about this – let’s say that the climate scientist with their models can get with 2 standard deviations – or be about right 5 to 10% of the time. Check out the top chart.

http://www.economist.com/news/science-and-technology/21574461-climate-may-be-heating-up-less-response-greenhouse-gas-emissions [economist.com]

I will point out that most investors and political advisors can get below 2 standard deviations.

As you say, when the model diverges from reality you make adjustments. Or junk the model and try something else. This is something you do with science – in particular in a young and developing field. Not so much with older fields. I was taught Newtonian physics long after Einstein had debunked it.

Personally, I would reference seismologists, not geologist. That is another subject where the science is making huge bounds but has low predicting power of when, and how big, the next earthquake will be. And just because seismologist have poor predictive powers does not mean one should not prepare for earthquakes.

Re:isn't the ice supposed to be melted by now? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 7 months ago | (#45790651)

Yes, Emperor Gore stated uncategorically that the polar ice caps would be gone. I guess he was hoping his house in Lebanon, Tennessee would be waterfront property by now and he could resell it for a profit. Sorry Prince Albert.

This Article is Denialist Propaganda (4, Funny)

CajunArson (465943) | about 7 months ago | (#45790255)

Anyone who would insinuate that there is any ice left anywhere on Earth after Global Warming must be an anti-science denialist and must be purged in the name of tolerance.

Re:This Article is Denialist Propaganda (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 7 months ago | (#45790309)

So much for global warming socialists. Wait! That's redundant!!!

No real adventurers left (1)

Chemisor (97276) | about 7 months ago | (#45790913)

That's a bit harsh, but perhaps more manly. These sissies are missing their chance to freeze to death studying global warming; how awesome that would have been! Back in the days of real men like Scott and Amundsen, if you got stuck in the ice, you stayed stuck in the ice until summer. These days people are such wimps; a little ice on the hull and they call for an icebreaker, "oh please save our poor souls! We did not bring any food or warm clothes, but don't hold that against us - we're adventurers!"

Re:This Article is Denialist Propaganda (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 7 months ago | (#45791857)

Anyone who would insinuate that there is any ice left anywhere on Earth after Global Warming must be an anti-science denialist and must be purged in the name of tolerance.

Says the derpTard with this in his signature:

I'll buy that GW is dangerous when ALGORE sells his beach house and carbon-neutrally composts his $100*10^6 from Qatar.

Yeah, the science is bad 'cause "AL GORE!!1!".

You're not one to talk (or at least to be listened to).

Time to rename their expedition... (3, Insightful)

14erCleaner (745600) | about 7 months ago | (#45790301)

They can call it the "Endurance [amazon.com] Centennial Reenactment".

Thats what happens... (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 7 months ago | (#45790327)

When you actually ACT on if global warming is happening, "There is less ice there, so we will be find" They get there and like "we are totally surprised that we could get stuck in ice when we thought there was global warming!" Bet that research team don't believe in global warming anymore. lol

Self-fulling prophecy? (1)

JoeyRox (2711699) | about 7 months ago | (#45790333)

They are in the artic measuring climate change and its affect on reduced sea ice levels yet are now trapped in ice and have called in ice-breaking ships to rescue them, which in turn will reduce the formation of sea ice.

Re:Self-fulling prophecy? (1)

SJHillman (1966756) | about 7 months ago | (#45790411)

Just more proof that you can't measure a system without affecting that system.

Re:Self-fulling prophecy? (1)

wonkey_monkey (2592601) | about 7 months ago | (#45790553)

They are in the artic

That's a pretty noobish mistake for an Antarctic research team to make.

now trapped in ice and have called in ice-breaking ships to rescue them, which in turn will reduce the formation of sea ice.

By something on the order of 0.00001% - if at all, given the chaotic nature of climate interactions. For all I know ice breakers might increase the total amount of ice once they've been through.

Re:Irony (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 7 months ago | (#45790649)

The fact is they(Climate Reseachers) will be breaking the ice, means they(Climate Scientists) should own it(Climate Change)!

cruise ship not scientific expedition (1)

Anonymous Coward | about 7 months ago | (#45790433)

These aren't all scientists on board, they are a mix of tourists with some scientist guides. Such is the sad state of funding these days that you have to hold bake sales to rent a cruise ship which used to be a proud part of the soviet science fleet before it was converted to an amusement park ride.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/world/231948/icebreaker-on-way-to-ship

Re:cruise ship not scientific expedition (1)

Anonymous Coward | about 7 months ago | (#45791253)

funding for expeditions has been done this way for decades, part tourist, part research. It is a very good model for them that allows easy funding without constantly begging for funds.

Boy Am I tired of this.... (3, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | about 7 months ago | (#45790441)

As you contemplate the likelihood of sea level rise, consider that just 20,000 years ago—a snap of the fingers in geologic time and well within the span of human existence—the North Sea didn’t even exist. Global sea levels were as much as 400 feet lower than today, Britain was part of Continental Europe and terra firma stretched from Scotland to southern Norway.

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/Never-Heard-of-Doggerland-Blame-Climate-Change-From-Millennia-Ago-208341111.html#ixzz2ocNb29cW
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12!: http://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

Re:Boy Am I tired of this.... (1)

mevets (322601) | about 7 months ago | (#45790691)

The earth is a fascinating place, with all its changes over time.
In that 20,000 years civilization has risen from nearly nothing to what we have today, despite us being virtually unchanged. The likely footing for this advancement is stability of food supply, which rests upon the stability of climate.

Tiring, I am sure, but critical none the less.

Al Gore says... (0, Troll)

bhlowe (1803290) | about 7 months ago | (#45790445)

Al Gore said the Arctic Ocean could be ice-free by now... What the Heck!? I didn't even bring a parka.

Re:Al Gore says... (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 7 months ago | (#45790503)

Different ocean, genius.

Re:Al Gore says... (1)

TubeSteak (669689) | about 7 months ago | (#45790549)

Some people would use this as an opportunity to take pot shots at climate change theory and Al Gore.
Others would take it as an opportunity to wonder why the previous climate models failed us and how can we improve them.

Only one of those two attitudes is of any use to the rest of us.

The Greater Good (1)

SuperKendall (25149) | about 7 months ago | (#45790931)

Only one of those two attitudes is of any use to the rest of us.

Actually, they are both useful.

But far more useful is the person who points out that sometimes scientists are not really scientists, so that we ALL be be skeptical of scientific claims and not just believe it "because Science (bitch)".

Science is only a useful tool to humanity when it's facilitating a conversation as to what we want to do. When Science is holding a virtual gun to our heads and making unreasonable demands based on questionable data and theories not proved by experimentation, then it's far more a danger than a help.

Re:The Greater Good (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 7 months ago | (#45791479)

At that point, it isn't really science. It's an agenda.

Re:Al Gore says... (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 7 months ago | (#45791079)

Others would take it as an opportunity to wonder why the previous climate models failed us and how can we improve them.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/grl.50316/abstract [wiley.com]

It's like no one ever thought of that.

Re:Al Gore says... (1)

bhlowe (1803290) | about 7 months ago | (#45791287)

Pot shots? The whole world was supposed to warm exponentially and all the sea ice was supposed to have melted by now. Al Gore was horribly wrong. There hasn't been significant warming in a decade. The "deniers" have been largely correct. And yet, the climate change promoters are just saying the models need to be adjusted. Al Gore is a buffoon.

Al Gore or George Bush ? (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about 7 months ago | (#45790735)

It's now well over a decade since Bush was awarded the US presidency.

With the benefit of a decade's hindsight, who do you think would have been best for America (and the world) at the time ?

Al Gore may have a specific agenda, but it's a hell of a lot better of an agenda than the other guy had.

You might want to think about that in the future.

Re:Al Gore says... (2)

phantomfive (622387) | about 7 months ago | (#45790971)

I know some people have trouble with the concept, but Antarctica and the Arctic are different places. Also, Gore didn't predict that the Arctic would be ice free in the winter, FWIW.

Re:Al Gore says... (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 7 months ago | (#45791503)

Not only are you wrong, but video [pjmedia.com] evidence of Al Gore himself saying the arctic would be completely ice free by 2013.

How many times do climate scientists and alarmists have to be wrong before people like you stop defending them? So far they have a PERFECT record of being wrong every single time, yet we still have people saying "Its science and you are not qualified to dispute it". Or in your case, you just deny what was said and hope someone like me doesn't come along with video evidence.

The news was already in europe 2 days ago (2)

angel'o'sphere (80593) | about 7 months ago | (#45790489)

Afaik, there are no ice breakers on the way to rescue but ordinary fright ships. But perhaps they are ice breaking and that fact never was told in germany. The likely closest one is: note, a chineese freighter that stopped unloading its freight and moved imediatly towards the hazardouse ship.

Re:The news was already in europe 2 days ago (2)

Dunbal (464142) | about 7 months ago | (#45790545)

The owners of ice breakers are usually the nordic countries - Russia, Canada, Norway, etc. I don't think Argentina or South Africa even own an ice breaker.

Re:The news was already in europe 2 days ago (1)

JWW (79176) | about 7 months ago | (#45790639)

Does New Zealand have any?

Re:The news was already in europe 2 days ago (1)

Anonymous Coward | about 7 months ago | (#45791145)

> Does New Zealand have any?

No, but it acts as the base for the US Antarctic program. Flights people and air cargo in and out of McMurdo all leave from Christchurch, NZ. The US's N. Palmer icebreaker research ship is a regular guest.

Ice strengthening meant that the two new NZ navy patrol boats became too heavy and unseaworthy to get down to the ice. Beautiful SNAFU.

Re:The news was already in europe 2 days ago (1)

Chris Mattern (191822) | about 7 months ago | (#45790729)

I don't think Argentina or South Africa even own an ice breaker.

Then you thought wrong. A few minutes in wikipedia reveals that Argentina does indeed have an ice breaker (and a second that is currently laid up for repairs). South Africa has two. Chile has three, and Australia has one.

Re:The news was already in europe 2 days ago (1)

bloodhawk (813939) | about 7 months ago | (#45791179)

Argentina is a common launching point for expeditions to the Antarctic, it would be stunning if they had no ice breakers.

Well here is the proof..... (1)

3seas (184403) | about 7 months ago | (#45790791)

....chemtrails do work.

Where's the Irony tag? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 7 months ago | (#45791093)

Slashdot needs an Irony tag for stories like this one.

Hm, maybe we shouldn't have rephrased it... (1)

argStyopa (232550) | about 7 months ago | (#45791125)

...because right now we're wishing it was in fact "warming" going on...

No No No (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 7 months ago | (#45791143)

You see all the greenhouse gas is rising to the Top!!! leaving the bottom of the earth cold. Yeah thats the ticket all the green house gases are rising to the North pole.

nig6a (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about 7 months ago | (#45791651)

trapped warmist bytch (1)

noshellswill (598066) | about 7 months ago | (#45791685)

So the "climate scientist" was pimping a warmist agenda and bytch Gaia decided to screw  him up good. Baaaaaad girl!  Earthquake up his *zzwhole was one thought. Too bad he didn't freeze-dead or get eaten by a leopard seal. 

South! (1)

kurt555gs (309278) | about 7 months ago | (#45791709)

I hope they brought a copy of Shackleton's book to read.

Load More Comments
Slashdot Login

Need an Account?

Forgot your password?
or Connect with...

Don't worry, we never post anything without your permission.

Submission Text Formatting Tips

We support a small subset of HTML, namely these tags:

  • b
  • i
  • p
  • br
  • a
  • ol
  • ul
  • li
  • dl
  • dt
  • dd
  • em
  • strong
  • tt
  • blockquote
  • div
  • quote
  • ecode

"ecode" can be used for code snippets, for example:

<ecode>    while(1) { do_something(); } </ecode>